Sunday, May 20, 2012

One Day in the Life of a Young European Starling

Summer is the child rearing time for many birds.  In my backyard, I noticed several birds busy with their offspring. 


What a big mouth!!  Easier to get food from someone.  Who is this young one? 

"I am a European Starling.  I'm hungry because my mom is getting late."

Some are left on their own to observe the surroundings.

"Any food around here?  Can we eat these flower petals?"
And they get to learn how to bathe.

The left bird:  "It's so fun to splash.  You wait."
The right twos:  "Taking too much time.  Hurry up."

Mom:  "Bathing is a serious affair.  Remove all the bugs between the feathers.  Get C-L-E-A-N, everyone."


Mom:  "See, the clean feathers are evenly spread for a better flight."


Dad:  "A clean bird can walk with confidence to get to the food."


"Scratching without falling is another skill required.  My Mom says there are tons of things to learn before the hot weather goes away."


Good luck for your summer.





No comments:

Post a Comment