Monday, May 14, 2012

Black-headed Grosbeak

I still remember the first time when I saw this bird on my patio one summer.  Wow, my Adrenalin rushed and I crossed my fingers so that it would stay for a little while.

Female Black-headed Grosbeak in 2010:  "I am a new kid in the block.  It's already in August, so I don't have much time left in Oregon.  But nice to find a new feeding spot."

Starting September, Black-headed Grosbeaks begin migrating back to the south to spend warm winter somewhere in southern California or Mexico.  Come spring, they return to the north, some even going all the way to Alaska.


Male and female in 2011:  "This summer I brought my husband.   I like it here."


This May,  I saw one male a few times.


"Yuk, your backyard was overcrowded with Evening Grosbeaks this time.  I had to wait for a while and sneak in when they were gone."

Black-head Grosbeaks are a little smaller than Evening Grosbeaks, so he might have been overwhelmed and later took off  to somewhere else.

Just remember whenever you need to stop over on the way back to the south, you can take a rest here with your favorite sunflower seeds.  Because I am planting sunflowers again this summer.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment