Friday, May 11, 2012

Birdbath Basics

A birdbath is almost as important as bird food.  Why?  The water is first for drinking, and, second, for bathing.  Especially when you don't have any creek or river nearby. 

When placing a birdbath in your backyard, please follow these guidelines:

1) Keep nothing within 2 feet around on all sides since the birds are vulnerable with wet and heavy feathers.  No preditors are allowed nearby.
2) Have a small tree within a few yards for an emergency refuge. 
3) Change the water daily, and scrub the algae and droppings as needed.

Now your birds are ready to enjoy the birdbath just like my backyard friends:

Black-capped Chickadee:  "On a hot day, it's nice and cool."

Oregon Junco:  "When it gets very hot, I'll escape to the mountains.  But until then, I can take a bath here to cool down."

Evening Grosbeak:  "Daily glassful of water is good for health - I heard it on the bird news."

House Finch:  "The fresh morning water can't be underlined enough.  Do I look sound and well?  Certainly I am."


Scrub Jay:  "Ummm, good.  I just saw the backyard owner changed the water.  A taste of fresh water!!"

American Goldfinch:  "I'll send you a kiss to the conscientious backyard owner.  Hurray!!"

I hope your bird friends will love the fresh water this summer to stay clean and healthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment