Monday, April 9, 2012

A New Face in the Backyard

Last few days have been warm like real spring. My magnolia tree is in full bloom now.



Today I found a new bird friend in my backyard.

First I thought it must be a Song Sparrow, but it wasn't because the head color was different.  As I checked through the pages of an Oregon Bird Book, I FOUND it.

"Yum, yum, I like your seeds."

This sparrow is called "Chipping Sparrow," which  just returned from the south to spend the summer in Oregon. 

 "I like your pear blossoms, too.  They smell sweet."

This sparrow has the roufous crown; therefore,  is the 2nd year or older.  Juveniles and 1st winter birds do not have the roufous color.

"Today I spent all day here.  I'll be back tomorrow."

Now that I found a new one, I wrote it down in my bird book.  The total count is already getting close to 50.   It is fun to bird watch and learn about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment