Friday, April 13, 2012

Evening Grosbeaks are Back, too.

Last few days I felt like being in a tropical forest because the loud callings and chirpings were going on right in my backyard.  Well, they were Evening Grosbeaks I hadn't seen since last summer.   I saw a total of six of them, munching the pear blossoms and roasted sunflower seeds.   No wonder it was so loud.  My largest feeder only accommodated 4 large birds like them at one time.  So some had to do a U-turn back to a tree nearby.

See, how crowded it got here!!! 

Let me introduce Mr. (yellow and brown) and Mrs. (grey with a bit of yellow)  Evening Grosbeaks.  Don't they look fabulous with their striking colors?  They are one of the largest finches.  They like to eat seeds, insects, and fruit.

  After eating so much, this threesome needed to satisfy their thirst.

Mrs. was calling for a late husband?!!  I hope she was not mad at him.

Another Mrs. was inspecting the scattered seeds before eating.

Evening Grosbeaks visit my backyard once in a while during the warm months.  I hope to see them again before long.

1 comment: