Thursday, April 5, 2012

Bird's Territories

I like to keep my backyard as a peaceful garden with birds.  As long as I have sparrows, finches, and so on, it seems to be fine.  However, some birds are very territorial and can not share the same area with ease.  Guess who it can be. 

Hint# 1:  A very small bird

Hint# 2:  Likes drinking liquid rather than eating seeds




"It's me.  I absolutely do NOT want to share anything with anybody!!!"

So when a summer hummingbird such as Roufous Hummer arrives in spring, I have to make sure there are enough feeders around.  So far they still fight even with a multiple of feeders, I have now decided to place another feeder in the front yard.  No one has used it yet.  So wait and see what happens.

This morning a female Roufous was at the backyard feeder as usual.  As long as I stayed away from the window, she wanted to drink the sugar water a lot and made several return trips.

Later I noticed a male Roufous around the pear tree, doing acrobatic flying.


"Where did she go?  I am halfway orange-headed to show off to her."

"Now I am the orangest and prettiest bird in this backyard, heah, heah.  Come and find me!!"


"There she is.  Off I buzz."


Bird's territory rules depend on many factors such as the nesting season, food availability, roosting condition, etc.  So watch and see how, when, and who is more picky or more mellow in their bird behaviours.  Have fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment