Sunday, April 22, 2012

Just a Little Help Goes a Long Way

When I was checking on the Audubon Society Website, I noticed they were asking people to remove Invasive Plant Species because many invasive non-native plant species destroy native habitat for birds survival.   Five of the most common ones around Oregon are English Ivy, Himalayan blackberry, Garlic Mustard, Japanese Knotweed and Clematis. 

A few years ago,  I had a huge mound of overgrown English Ivy around the  pine tree in the backyard.   One day I decided to get rid of it.  I really WORKED till exhaustion for several days in pulling those vines.   My back and fingers were sore for sometime, but I was glad I did it.   So my message to you is to get rid of it before it gets out of hand.


The Orange-crowned Warbler can appreciate my hard work.
"That's why I can find a lot of food in the backyard.  I like your bugs, pear blossoms, and blueberry flowers particularly."

"See, I have to raise young ones here, so an ample supply of food is really appreciated."


A female Roufous Hummingbird says, "When I come to Oregon for summer, I always like to drink blueberry nectar here!"

"And this time I just have to figure out what's on the ground here.  This looks like my favorite little spider web.  Glad the English Ivy did not take over here."

During summer, any little help you can do to make your backyard bird friendly will be much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment