Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hummingbirds' favorites

A neighbor across the street found a hummingbird nest in his yard a month ago.  But I did not venture into seeing it, afraid to harass the bird at the most vulnerable time.  Meantime, the hail storm came and hammered down the tiny nest to the ground.  I just hope the young ones already left the nest before the storm.  One Hummingbird blog mentioned the rate of fledging was  25%. 

The other day, I saw a hummer busily collecting spider webs for another nest.  A tough bird.  Their spirit doesn't get beaten up.  Hooray!



As the temperature climbs up, hummers enjoy sucking flower nectar.
What are their favorite flowers? They like small, tubal flowers.   Red is the most attractive color.


Just to name a few of the flowers in my backyard:

Double petal pink Columbine
"Yum, yum, yum."


Iris
"I'm looking at you, and you're looking at me."


Salvia (Texas Sage)
"Too many blossoms.  Which one to get first?"



Cape Fuchsia (Phygelius) 
"I just love these trumpet-shaped blossoms.  Ta, la, la, la.  Ummm, good."


As always, fuchsias are one of the best tasting flowers.
"Nothing tastes better than a real nectar!!!  I got tired of sugar water last winter."


 Little Petunia
"These little petunias are a new addition to my favorites."


Now that you know hummers are delighted to drink genuine nectar from flowers during the summer in Oregon, why not add some of these favorites in your garden, too?  They will truly appreciate your efforts.


No comments:

Post a Comment