Thursday, June 7, 2012

Growing Up Time

June is the time for the Rose Festival in Portland, Oregon.  All the roses here begin to bloom this time of the year.

And so with my roses, adding bright, colorful spots to my backyard.



During summer, I often see Mom and Dad birds busy feeding young ones.

Lesser Goldfinch Dad:  "Ok, ok, ready for you."


Lesser Goldfinch Mom:  "Just don't flap your wings too much this time."



Gradually baby birds learn not to flap the wings, and eat on their own.

House Finch toddler:  "I'm grown up now.  I can eat on my own."
(Notice a couple of baby feathers sticking out on the head.)



European Starlings used to come with Mom, Dad, and siblings.  But now
I see one young European Starling stopping over by itself.  Often it hangs around with a robin.  One day, I saw that Starling napping on the fence.

"After stormy days, a sunny day is so special."


Then, suddenly it woke up as if startled by a dream.

"Where are my mom and dad?  I haven't seen them for a while.  I miss them...."

In nature, everyone has to grow up fast.  There's no time to waste.  No time for spoiling.  Just like the lion king kicking a young one off a cliff to let it go on its own.

I can learn a lot from observing the bird world.











No comments:

Post a Comment