Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Bird Way to Eat a Delicious Blueberry

The American Robin likes to eat earthworms, insects, and berries.  You must have seen a Robin pulling out a worm out of your lawn.  Now that our summer has finally arrived and the blueberries are ripening, I found a Robin stealing the first ripen berries in my backyard.   It is OK because I believe in coexistence and sharing some with my bird friends.  In addition, they do some good deeds like eating some insect pests from around here.



"Hi, I am a Robin, your friend.  Mind my eating your berries?"



"Usually,  I get one already dropped on the ground, not off the branch."



"Then, I swallow it, appreciating your work of fattening the berries."



To tell the truth, he first had one berry in his mouth when I saw him.  Then seeing me coming out with a camera, he dropped it on the ground, picked it up, and ate it as if he wanted me to take photos of his eating.

In the past, blueberries did not take too much care and used to produce a lot more than I needed.  But nowadays the bushes are getting old, so in spring I gave peatmoss and during summer, have to use the home-made compost once a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment