Saturday, February 16, 2013

Unexpected Visitor

Today was cloudy with 50% chance of rain.  The grey sky does not make an impressive photo.   Nonetheless, as I was watching birds coming to eat at the backyard feeders, I noticed something red moved between the branches at the neighbor's tall maple tree.  Who could it be?


No time to well adjust the camera setting, but I managed to take a few shots.   Look at this red headed bird!!!


"Hi,  it's my first time to get down here. 
I am a Red-breasted Sapsucker."

One of my bird books, "Birds of Oregon," tells me that it is the most common sapsucker in western Oregon, but usually stays in higher elevations.  No wonder.  A few years ago, I've seen one at top of a far away tall tree.  But till today, I have not seen one in my backyard.  Their food are insects, tree sap, and berries.  A male and a female look alike; a juvenile lacks any red.


After the neighbor's maple, it swished to my cedar tree to inspect for any bugs by climbing up and down.

"If I can find enough bugs, I may come back."

No comments:

Post a Comment