Thursday, February 21, 2013

Falcon: Merlin

I know there are many hawks.  Some are called falcons.  What does it really mean?  Today I found out by the following explanation in a Field Guide by National Geographic:

                           Falcons are distinguished from hawks
                           by their long wings, which are bent back
                           at the "wrist" and . . . narrow, and pointed. 
                           Females are larger than males.
 
Lately I have seen a Merlin perched on top of a far away tall fir tree in the neighborhood.  I can tell it is a Merlin thru my camera lens.  Yesterday it was perched on top of the next door neighbor's tree. 
 
Adult male is gray-blue above, while female and juvenile usually dark brown. 
 
"Who are you down there?  Someone who's staring at me."
 
 
 
"I'm off.  Jump."
 
 
 
"Go." 
 
 
"Zoom to grab food."
 
 
It disappeared in no time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment