Friday, February 1, 2013

Protecting the Wildlife

National Wildlife Federation sent me a little card on how to protect wildlife.  Since you read my blog enjoying the wildlife, I would like to share this information with you:

1)  Grow native plants so that pollen, nectar, nuts, cones, berries and other seeds grow easier and better for our climate.

2) Provide water for wildlife.   I keep one shallow birdbath during the cold months (The water for a deep bath, when frozen, can expand and crack the bath).  In summer, I keep 3-4 birdbaths around. The surface of the bath should not be slippery and should be kept close to a tree for immediate escape if necessary.

3)  Create protective cover by growing shrubs, evergreens, and placing hollow logs and rock piles.

My neighbor has a beautiful Blue Spruce in the front yard.
House Sparrow, male:  "This evergreen works for me.  My whole family roost inside.  I know a Scrub-Jay family used to have a nest here.  Often Oregon Juncos stay here, too."

4)  Build birdhouses, attaching to metal poles (for safety from snakes and other slithery dangers), away from the feeding area and the southern exposure (too hot in spring).  To make feeding easier, grow plants for butterfly and moth caterpillars and provide dense plantings to help create a safe nesting area.


"We, Northern Flickers, like to excavate a cavity on a big tree, but if you prepare a nest box with sawdust, I might use it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment