Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Two Kinds of Townsend's Warblers

Today the temperature is not so cold as earlier this week.  The ice on the bird bath began to thaw.




After all those frosts, the weeds and small branches leftover from the summer are all gone.    So my suet can provide a lot of nutrients to bird friends during the real winter months.  Lately Townsend's Warblers come daily for the suet.  I just discovered there are two kinds of the warblers visiting my backyard: one with the black throat and the other without.


What color do you see under his chin?
"Yum, yum, yum.  I have to eat fast before others come and get the suet....  
Well, I've got the black throat all over.  Do you see that?"


Here is another for your inspection:
"Do I have the same black throat?"



"Here's my front look.  I DO NOT have the black front at all.  
I can be a female or immature male.  Ta, ta.... That's my s-e-c-r-e-t!"


No comments:

Post a Comment