Saturday, February 25, 2012

What a Day!

Today we had all kinds of weather from sunny to cloudy, rainy, and sleet.   The temperature went down to freezing and it has been cold now.

When the weather is miserable, birds have miserable time in finding food unless they know such a good place as my backyard.

See, it is very crowded here.   Today at the most swarmed time, I could count more than 30 Pine Siskins, 8 American Goldfinches, 4 Lesser Goldfinches, more than a dozen Oregon Juncos, several Chickadees, one Yellow-rumped Warbler, and two Nuthatches.   


And one more....
A beautiful, yet formidable Cooper's Hawk who also needs food to survive through a wet western Oregon winter.  He flies around, checking at each bird feeder in the neighborhood.   No catch today and soon flew away to another location.


When the sun was out, it was so sunny and warm.  A Junco male was hiding from me with a branch right in front.

A Northern Flicker came to the suet as usual.   Even when I was out on the patio with a camera, it still came down and began eating.  She now knows that I am a safe person who provides them with food.


Another one who is becoming more brave is a Pine Siskin.  As long as I stay away, it does not fly away and still keeps on eating on a thistle seed bag hanging on the patio. 

Do you know what my wish is?  Someday, some bird will come to me and start eating from my palm. 




No comments:

Post a Comment