Monday, February 13, 2012

A Cold Day Still

It is still cold around here.  I still wear a winter coat, a muffler, a hat, and a pair of gloves, especially when I am watching birds around my backyard in the morning.

A couple of days ago, my hummer showed up while I was out on the patio.  It did not come for the sugar water, but instead came to me, hovering and saying, "I am still busy with catching bugs and getting ready for an early nesting." 

These days, I see a hummer on and off, sweeping across the neighbor's hedge row searching for bugs, or perched on a branch zooming in for a bug.



Last Saturday I moved a birdbath out on the lawn.  Who could be the first to check on it?


Without a question, it was the chickadee as I predicted.  Any new thing around the backyard, the Black-capped Chickadee can find and has the curiosity to try it first before anyone else does. 


A Townsend's Warbler stopped over quickly before a bossy Yellow-rumped Warbler chased it out.


"This is my suet.  Don't you ever come back!", repeated the Yellow-rumped Warbler.


When the warblers were out, a Bewick's Wren stopped over, too.  Mr. Wren was so friendly today that he flew right over me when I came out in the afternoon. 

Amazingly many birds know me by now, although they are still careful of any human.

1 comment: