Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Signs of Spring

Early in the morning, a Scrub Jay perched on the neighbor's spruce tree, smelling the spring.


Just like the Jay,  I can see and hear the changes in the backyard.


My pear tree branch got new leaf buds.  


Look close to this Pine Siskin's beak.  You can find the remnants of those buds!!    But when pear flowers bloom, birds can help transfer the flower pollen to grow pears in the fall.   So this is the rule of GIVE and TAKE.


A House Finch was busy singing on top of the pear tree.  He is the #1 singer in my backyard.  What a lovely song!!


Later, an American Robin joined in singing, welcoming today's warm weather.


One Anna's humming bird flew in, ignoring the sugar water and said to me, "I don't need the water anymore, 'cause I'm busy catching bugs for a change."  Now I know why hummers have not shown up to the feeders for a week.

Everyone had fun today.

1 comment: