Saturday, November 3, 2012

A Scary Tale - A Young Cooper's Hawk

The neighbor's huge Japanese maple has a variety of colors from green, yellow, and red.
 
But my short Japanese Lacey maple is ready to drop the pretty yellow and red leaves now.


Only a few days after the Halloween (10/31),  today was still cloudy and dark.  People are still a kind of scared after watching all those scary movies.   A perfect setting for another scary scene in my backyard.


Amongst the pear tree branches loaded with yellow colored leaves, I saw something moving.  Maybe a squirrel having fun?  Right then,  came out the feathers of a big bird....

Then it jumped onto a steel framed hanger for a bird feeder.  Thump...          


That big bird was a young Cooper's Hawk.  It turned the head to the right,


and to the left, scanning the background with a plenty of time.


Then, it moved the wings and tail feathers as if he wanted to act like a Dracula:  "Have I really frightened you all to death?   I see no one here."




"Oh, well, I shouldn't have done this Dracula pose!"

No comments:

Post a Comment