Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Super Vision

Out in my veggie patch, I have many zucchinis like many other gardeners.  Zucchinis are one of the easiest veggies to grow around here with only a lot of sun and water. 

A zucchini flower
Also, I started digging and found a few large potatoes. Using those fresh organic potatoes, I made a delicious potato salad.    


Birds like to visit my veggie garden to eat a bit of this or that such as soft leaves of Chinese peas, leaves of Sunflower, and so on.  One day, my Chinese painting teacher told me birds can tell the shape differences of leaves very easily to guide their flight. 

Today  I found a very interesting short article on a National Wildlife Federation's magazine regarding the birds' vision.

The summary of the article is as below:

1)  Bird's eyes have one more receptor for color vision, whereas human's only have three for red, green and blue.    This extra receptor enables birds to see the UV light.

2)  Birds have a tiny drop of colored oil in each receptor, whereas humans have none of it.   This enables birds to see the differences between two similar colors when humans can not.

Because of these above differences, scenes may appear more detailed and brighter for the birds.

Wow!!  No wonder they are always ahead of me when I am trying to find them.  They know exactly where and what I am doing.

A Scrub Jay was looking far beyond from the tree top with that super vision.


Then, seeing me down on the ground, it decided to come right down to get more peanuts.  
Spreading the wings



On the way, it is now like a bullet.

"I can see you very clear up on the tree top."


Even on the ground, he/she can find a bug hidden in the lawn.
" Look at this I just got."

Now I'm convinced that birds have a super vision.








No comments:

Post a Comment