Thursday, March 15, 2012

Rufous Hummingbird's Return

After spending a warm winter in Southern California (or further south in Mexico), a Roufous Hummingbird flies back all the way to Oregon in the spring.  Last year on March 14, I saw a male Roufous Hummingbird coming to feed on a sugar water feeder here. 

This year on the same date, I saw a male Roufous Hummingbird make a beeline from the wisteria vine to his favorite red feeder hanging on the patio. 


Wow, does he know a calendar date to return to my backyard?!!!!

Whatever it is to guide him back here right on time, he must be a darn smart little bird!!!



He was happy to be back here, spreading all the tail feathers.  These photos are rather blurry due to the dark, rainy condition,  but I wanted to let you know he is officially back for the season.

"My little smarty hummer, welcome back to Oregon."


1 comment: