Thursday, December 22, 2011

Scrub Jay

Everyone knows about this bird, who has dazzling blue feathers, but to everyone's disappointment, it makes a terrible noise and chases away every other bird, acting as the neighborhood bully.


But I need to give some credit to a Scrub Jay.  

Credit #1:  A few years ago when I was feeding shelled peanuts to a squirrel,  a scrub jay came and got two at a time with the big beak.   Seeing that, a squirrel tried to do the same.   A jay taught a squirrel to be more efficient.

Credit #2:  Since a jay was waiting for a peanut on an apple tree branch, I decided to take a closeup photo first and then give a peanut.   A jay taught me how to bird watch and photograph.

In my backyard, a scrub jay is a regular resident.  In spring, it walks around the apple tree branch carefully.


In summer, it likes to take a bath in the bird bath just like other birds.


In fall, it walks through fallen leaves to find some bugs.


"See,  I can be a nice bird.  Just I do not have a melodic voice like other birds."  

In winter, it still likes to fly in to get its favorite peanuts.