Saturday, December 10, 2011

Chickadees, Black-capped and Chestnut-backed

Chickadees are little hyperactive birds, rarely staying still.  They are regular residents here in my backyard, eating seeds, roasted sunflower seeds, and the suet. 


In the spring time, they also eat small green worms on an apple tree. 


In the backyard, I no longer use chemical pesticides since birds eat a majority of  little bugs and worms. 

This summer a mom chickadee brought her babies for training.


Looks cute, doesn't it?  It still has yellowish corner on the mouth.  It was waiting for mom to return with food. 

Another chickadee is called Chestnut-backed chickadee, which comes here once in a while.  It is a bit smaller than the other one and its back is chestnut-colored.


Both kinds are very curious and always find a new feeder first before anyone else.  When I am out, they even fly right over my head, telling me "Hey, I know you."