Friday, March 15, 2013

Return of a Rufous Hummer

Rufous Hummingbirds are a summer bird in Oregon.  After spending the winter months in Southern California and Mexico, they come back to Oregon, Canada, and up to Alaska during the summer months. 

I have seen them every summer since I started bird watching three years ago.  As I back tracked on my photo data, I found out mine returned on the same date, March 14.  So I was anxious to find out if one would return here on that date.

Came March 14, close to 11 a.m. when the temperature became warm, I saw one male Rufous Hummer drinking from my front yard sugar water feeder!!!   He was on the feeder for a while, fretting and drinking a lot.  A good indication that he was happy being back here.


"Who am I?"

Due to the shear curtain I have for the front picture window, I could not take a clear picture...  But it sure was a male Rufous Hummingbird judging from the size, shape, and the color.

From my old photo, you will see how he looks like.
"I assure you I am the same bird."


Since the arrival, he's been busy exploring this neighborhood after having been away for 6 months.   I hope I can see him a few more times before departing for further north.  I expect to see a female in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment