Sunday, March 24, 2013

A Male Rufous Hummingbird Update

This spring I saw the male Rufous a few times, but not long enough to take a picture until the other day when I just happened to sit down on my bird watching seat and looked out half-hidden by the curtain.

On a wisteria branch out there, the Rufous was showing off his brilliant orange gorget (throat area).



Spreading the fancy tail feathers.




Then suddenly he flew into the patio to drink my sugar water.

"De-licious!  Flower nectar would be even better."

Yes, I know.  I wish the weather is getting warmer instead of getting colder like this past week.  From today on, however, it is supposed to warm up.   Soon you will love my red and tubal flowers such as honey suckles, Columbines, Texas sage, pineapple sage, trumpet vine, and so on.

"OK.  I'll take another slurp.  Ummm, good."

No comments:

Post a Comment