Sunday, December 16, 2012

Bird Friends at a Nearby Wetland

For a few months, we had not been to the wetland due to chilly weather.  But on Friday, the sky showed a little blue around noon and we decided to revisit there.



A muddy trail...  We had to walk on the weedy side to avoid the mud. 


Up in the sky, a lone Canada Goose was about to land nearby.

"I'm gonna land on my favorite spot right behind the new picnic area."
 
 
 
On a pond in front, a duck was shoveling weedy food out of the pond bottom.

 "Look at my bill.  Doesn't it look like a shovel?  Efficient digging is my trait.  That's why I am called a Northern Shoveler."


On the other side of the pond, other ducks are ready to take off.
"Run, run, run on the water.... F-A-S-T."



Staring motionless,  a matured Great Blue Heron was standing in the weeds at the edge of a pond for 30 minutes or even longer....
"I'm just looking and listening to whatever is going on around here, like an sentinel."

No comments:

Post a Comment