Sunday, July 20, 2014

In the Woods

Today we returned to a coastal forest after almost a year, hoping to see some summer birds before their returning to the south.

When we arrived in the woods around 9:00 am, we were surprised to find the chilly woods with the cloudy sky.   Later it warmed up and I saw some birds flying around the trees.


There I encountered with a couple of new summer birds.  One was flipping swiftly around the branches of a tall conifer tree trying to find bugs between the needles.

"Hi, I am a male Hermit Warbler, a summer bird in Oregon.  
I have black chin and throat with white underparts with 
limited flank streaks."

Jumping between the deciduous tree leaves to find bugs was a Black-throated Gray Warbler.

"Hello, I am a female Black-throated Gray Warbler with black and 
white head, gray back, white underparts, and a small yellow 
spot between eye and bill.  I, too, visits Oregon for summer."


"Now you can see my bright yellow spot
in the sun.  Just don't stare at me."


No comments:

Post a Comment