Thursday, July 17, 2014

A Tiny Mom

Last year I tried to grow a dill but to no avail.  So, this year I bought a larger starter plant which grew well.




Now I have used it a few times to sprinkle on potato salads or to dry for winter use.


The other morning I found a young bird begging for food.

A young one:  "Mom, I need more food."
A tiny Mom:  "You are old enough to find your own food."

This mom is less than half the size of the kid!  The real mom, Brown-headed Cowbird, lays eggs in someone else' nests and forfeits the duty of raising her own young.  So, whoever gets the egg ends up raising the young.  In this case an Oregon Junco did.

From this day on, without any help the Cowbird finds food by herself in my garden.


"I like your garden 'cause I can find lots of seeds."

No comments:

Post a Comment