Friday, January 31, 2014

Chinese Lunar New Year (新年快乐)

Today is Chinese New Year called "Spring Festival " (春节).    Since it depends on the lunar calendar, the date differs from year to year.  This year it happened to fall on January 31.

In my backyard, I can see and hear the approach of spring.  On the pear trees, I can see little leaf buds forming.  I can hear birds sometimes singing for spring courtship.

A week ago, I read in a book that Anna's Hummingbirds begin nesting in late January or early February in the Pacific Northwest.  It's just around the Spring Festival.


I saw a male hummer (with the pink helmet) was chasing a female hummer.

"Oh boy, your pink helmet is superb!"


"I have to get ready for nesting.  I'll probably
 fix up an old nest to use this time."


No comments:

Post a Comment