Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Battle

Hummingbirds are territorial.   With their wee little body, they need a big domain to fly around.   I see other birds such as House Sparrows, House Finches,  etc. come and share the feeding grounds without any problems.  But when it comes to a hummer, it matters very much.

Today was such a day for a serious battle when two hummers ended up coming to the same feeding ground at the same time.


Anna's (Left):  "This is my place!!"
Rufous (Right):  "So what!"


A battle began....
Anna:  Her neck is fluffed up, threatening the enemy.
Rufous:  Spreading the tail feathers, intimidating the other.


Both are supersonic flyers....



They left here, one chasing the other into another space.



But when they are by themselves, they are very courteous, even letting me take a fancy photo if the light is coming at the right angle.


Anna:  "Delicious nectar."

Rufous:  "My favorite flower and me."

No comments:

Post a Comment