Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Large Flock of Migrant White-crowned Sparrows

On the way to Eastern Washington, we stopped at Pendleton, Oregon (in Eastern Oregon).  The next day, early in the morning I walked around the hotel which was surrounded by the grass fields.  Then,  I saw a few little birds, which turned out to be a large flock of migrant White-crowned Sparrows.  There could have been thirty to forty altogether, finding seeds for their breakfast in the bushy area.


" The sun is up.  Today will be a
super day, my friends."


"More seeds out there.  I'm off."
 
 
"There's plenty of food around here. 
I'd rather warm up in the sun before eating."
 
 
Although some White-crowned Sparrows are residents along the Pacific Coast and inland Oregon, many of them are late spring and early fall migrants.  So probably this flock was on the way to Alaska and Canada to spend their summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment