Saturday, January 14, 2012

Lesser Goldfinch

Last year I did not see much of the lesser goldfinches.  Once in a while they showed up, 1 or 2 at a time.  So, I checked with Audubon Society's bird count data, but their population seemed to be not on the decline.  So they were just busy elsewhere and might find their way back to my backyard soon.

Lesser Goldfinches come here most of the year around except in the cold winter months.   They are smaller than American Goldfinches.  The male has a black cap and a greenish back (western states).  The female and the juvenile have dull yellow.


On a windy spring day, a male lesser was singing.


On a sunny June day, a couple of them fled to the top of a pine tree away from my camera lens.


On a hot day,  a male has to stop for a drink.


One very hot September day,  a whole family crowded into the bird bath. 

They like to eat seeds all the time (no insects please) and their summer favorite is dandelion seeds.  So I try to save some instead of pulling them all out (no pesticides are used here).   


 Sunflower leaves are another favorite.  First time seeing them eating dandelion seeds and munching on sunflower leaves was quite a surprise to me.


In the fall, they looked for fallen seeds after the garden was all cleared.  A lot of things to do here in my backyard.

Come back in the spring time.