Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Little Help for Birds

Every year I send in a donation to The Cornell Lab of Ornithology.  The other day they sent me a little brochure, "7 Simple Actions" for a Bird-Friendly life.

So, I checked on whether I have followed their list.

1)  Make windows safer: Done. I placed some plastic stickers on our windows.
2) Keep cats indoors:  My cats stay indoor all the time for their safety.
3) Reduce lawn, plant natives:  Reduced the lawn some and  will buy more native plants.
4) Avoid pesticides:  No pesticides in my front and back yards.  For roses, I use dish soap to get rid of aphids.
5) Drink shade-grown coffee:  A new thing.  We will try this.
6) Protect our planet from plastic:  Recycle plastic bags around home.  Use recycle bags for shopping.
7) Watch birds:  I watch and take photos to understand them and spread the info on my blog.


Here're some new photos for you:


Yellow-rumped Warbler: "I like your suet.  But 
when you peek from inside, I am scared."
Anna's Hummingbird:  "Don't worry.  She won't hurt you.


One day, many American Robins landed here to peck on the fallen organic apples.  It is a good idea to keep some left on the ground for winter.

"Thank you for saving the apples for our winter food."


On a snowy day, many Mourning Doves landed searching for seeds.  I have never seen this many at one time.

"This morning the snow covered food, so we came here to eat seeds."

No comments:

Post a Comment