Sunday, September 7, 2014

Ready for Winter?

Ready or not the seasons are changing.  I can feel it in the coldness of the early morning air, and in the changes that have been taking place in birds.

Goldfinches have changed into their winter coat.  Their beak is already dark; their coat less bright; the black top of the male is almost gone.


 "I now have less conspicuous coat, which will protect 
me from predators when the leaves are fallen."

Rufous Hummingbirds are getting ready for their migration flight to the south to spend a warm winter.  Before the long flight, they have to fatten up.

"I will be leaving in a couple of weeks."


Some birds do not migrate, but just return to the lower elevation to spend winter.


Song Sparrow:  "I just got back from the woods."


Lo, behold!  Someone else is back, too.  Here comes a Cooper's Hawk.

"I am on the trial run today.  I checked all over inside 
these apple, plum, and pear trees."

No comments:

Post a Comment